See “What’s Going On in the Corner of the Play Area of the Orphanage? (Part 1)” for relevant screen-caps of the Play Area.

On the map (top picture) the room labeled (26) is the Play Area, and the area labeled (25) is the Balcony. This, it seems to me, makes the window in the corner of the Play Area—that we’ve been examining during this series of blog-posts—the same window near which we see Jennifer and Eleanor standing on the balcony (middle picture).

Notice how the three ropes that hang down from the balcony rail line up with the window. Those ropes hang down toward the strange objects arrayed in front of the “Legend of Stray Dog / Stray Dog kidnaps kidz” drawing (bottom picture).

Does what’s going on in the corner of the Play Area relate to the Balcony, the ropes, and the area beneath? Let me know what you think in the comments-thread.

Thanks, Jay, for the high-resolution screen-caps.
Thanks, Lussh, for the map.

27 Responses to “What’s Going On in the Corner of the Play Area of the Orphanage? (Part 2)”
  1. Jay says:

The fort is a hiding place from stray dog, who is drawn in the wall, he is drawn near the window cause that’s where you can can see him from, the ropes are for lowering the offerings to him, and the objects are part of the offerings or the altar where the oferings were put…. something like that, probably the fort was not the girls idea, just the kids being afraid and handling the situation their own way, the drawing could be something like a “target sketch” or “enemy detected/identified” or something like that.

@Jay,
    How about the “fort” not actually being a fort, but rather a place where the “offerings” are stored before going down the ropes? The awning, in that case, would be to provide a sun-shield so that the offerings don’t spoil (as in meat going bad) in the heat of the sunshine from the window.

3. Ren says:

Those look like graves to me. ^^’ I have two theories!
    1. Some of the posts look rather organic, they might have been grown there as a garden in imitation of Gregory’s pea-growing and as a place to offer up supplementary peas-there’s even a knife and spoon sticking up at the foot of one of the posts, which might symbolise the fate of the dead peas.
    2. The rope placed around some of the posts and hanging above also made me think of the Sir Peter scene- I did always think it odd that the girls had a pulley that went so high and the set-up looked like a hard task for children to accomplish alone, so if Jennifer has been imagining things out of proportion, this could be the setting for the forest scene.
    Both have some major gaps, so I’m gonna try thinking about it a while longer.

Ren wrote:

This idea occurred to me as well, and I think it has some merit. After all, it seems odd to me that the orphans would risk their safety to venture out into a dark forest at night, light up the area, and sing loudly in a fashion that might summon Stray Dog. Don’t they fear Stray Dog? At THIS location, however, they could either do the ritual safely from the balcony, or—if on the ground—they could flee into the orphanage via the nearby backdoor, if Stray Dog showed up.

5. Ren says:

Something I’ve noticed-the posts may correspond to the seven orphans with minor roles in the game: Amanda, Clara, Olivia, Susan, Thomas, Xavier and Nicholas. The first and more obvious pole was the ‘clover’ with yellow flowers-Olivia wears a yellow flower headpiece and is associated with the Cloverfield. I’ve been checking up on the wiki in order to compare the other posts with possible candidates, and I’ve come up with a possible left-to-right:
    Unknown, Olivia (clover), unknown-possibly Xavier (rumpled stripes), Susan (yellow and orange), Thomas (matching cap fabric), Amanda (knife and fork plus ragged dress) and possibly Xavier (mock sword).
    I’m not sure which one Clara might be, except maybe the first with the small ropes, and I can’t decide on what would suit Xavier more, but its a nifty theory. Any ideas?

6. Abbey says:

@Ren

That is a pretty nifty theory! The one you suggest as Thomas’s I think could be Hoffman’s. The brown and white fabric is the same that his pants are made of. (I’m scared to post a link and get marked as spam, but there’s a video on youtube called ‘Rule of Rose: Diana & Mermaid‘ and there’s a good shot of those pants about 20 seconds in.) It also looks like it has a horn…or am I just seeing one-horned Peters where they aren’t?

What do you think about the one on the far right with the bear tied to it?

Related to your theory, could the posts correspond with characters who have died like grave markers (they’re probably too close together to be real grave markers)? The one I mentioned could be for Hoffman, the one with the ropes could be for Clara, the one with the bear could maybe be for the real Joshua? There should also be one for Martha, then. Is this a possible theory too? There doesn’t seem to be enough dead people.

@ Ren,
    The left-most object is not the Clover object, see the picture (below). I used to think that left-most object was a fish-head, but in high-resolution it doesn’t look like a fish-head. It appears to be two things tied together. If these two things both stand for “persons”, then I think the possibilities would be Meg & Diana, Wendy & Jennifer, or the Prince & Princess. They are all depicted elsewhere as tied together.
    two strange objects

8. Ren says:

@ Pokernemesis and Abbey
    Thanks for the feedback! I never even noticed the Joshua bear, but after zooming in on the small far left post, I noticed that the ropes are securing a pendant-like object below shading that resembles a face similar to the rose princess doll. The Joshua bear and the red pendant are Jennifer and Wendys special items, I think we can assume that they are meant to round off the group. With two new markers, the lineup would go:
    1: Wendy 2: Olivia 3: Unknown (Thomas?) 4: Susan 5: Nicholas (sorry Abbey, I said Thomas last time but meant Nicholas, the sloppy prince with the fabric cap) 6: Amanda 7: Xavier 8: Jennifer. I’m going to exclude Clara on the grounds that she vanished from the orphanage early on, probably before they put up these markers. I’m also excluding Meg, Diana and Elenor because they have very clear themes which I imagine would be easily recognised if they were involved. There are however the three ropes left hanging above the markers, which may have something to do with them-maybe they were up on the balcony during the ceremony and did the actual lowering of the gift.
    The horn is pretty prominant, but it seems to be a solid piece of something that goes straight through the bundle of fabric, and I’m not sure how to take that- maybe another mock weapon? However, there are also white flowers-an odd choice for Nicholas. I’m still going for him over Hoffman though, I think Hoffman is wearing something more like brown corderoy.
    Can anyone make out the object lying beneath the lined post?
    (Phew. ^^’)

9. 12ga says:

i think that the sticks,post,graves or whatever they are could have something to do with the strange names in amanda’s diary:
    Sunday, October 12
    Oh, why can’t they all just go to hell!
    Basil, have a nap on the railroad tracks!
    Fanny, take a dive off the roof!
    George, I’ll hang you upside down!
    Hector, get run over by a carriage!
    Ida, I have some fancy poison jam for you!
    Leo, walk across an open manhole!
    Paul, get smothered by a great rug!
    And lastly, that girl!
    The Aristocrats will have their way with her!
    Oh, how very delightful life is!
    (Working Class Luggage, “Rag Princess Sews”, Amanda’s Diary)
    theres seven names and post and a rock wrapped in rope or string on the far left (8 names if were counting that girl)
    basil is in the first spot and the first post could be a rr crossing sign but looks more like a four leaf clover to me(take a nap on the rr tracks)
    ida is in the fifth spot in the diary and the fifth post has a spoon and fork (have some poison jam)
    leo is in the sixth spot and the sixth post looks to me like a water pipe with a facuet (walk across an open manhole)
    that girl is the very last spot and the very last post has a bear doll tied to it (The Aristocrats will have their way with her!) could be jennifer/bear prince (she wakes up tied to a lot of poles in ror!)
    no idea about the others,maybe someone else has some ideas?

10. Queen of the Fork says:

12ga thats a very interesting idea. There’s a rug in the play room actually, and in the play room there is a drawing of rail road tracks.

11. 12ga says:

@ Queen of the Fork

@ Abbey,
    I made the link for you (comment #6).

13. Abbey says:

@PokerNemesis
    Thank you!

@Ren
    Were you able to look at the video? I’m sorry I couldn’t find a better quality shot (I will continue to look), but in that scene at least he is wearing brown trousers with a white grid pattern. (It is in a cutscene, and I know that some characters’ clothes are slightly different than in the rest of the game.) I think that there is a horn coming out of his trousers is telling. The white flowers don’t make much sense for Hoffman, either though. Maybe they could be representive of his crimes? There could be a flower for each of his victims, or something? But then what would that mean for the flowers on the marker that seems to be Olivia’s? Aargh!

@12ga
    That’s a really interesting idea! The ‘dive off the roof’ one looks like a stovepipe chimney to me. :)

14. 12ga says:

@ Abbey thanks,now that you mention it, it does look like a stovepipe,kinda like the one sticking out the front of the orphanage.
    does anyone know if theres one on top of the mansion?

15. Ren says:

@Abbey
    Thanks, I’m still deliberating over that marker myself, it doesn’t make that much sense for either of them at the moment. I did have a look at the cutscene, and the fabric does have a grid pattern, but its looks a bit dark for the stuff on the post, though then again Nicholas’ hat looks too bright so going on colour similarity alone I’d kinda have to disqualify both of them-its kind of a hard one. If you look at Mr Hoffmans page on the RoR wiki there is a piccy of his boss-form which shows grown trousers with a faint grid pattern. Wendy has white flowers on her cap and a connection to one horned peter, but then why the fabric, and why wouldn’t she be accounted for by the flanking doll/bear markers? Ugh. ^^’

16. nadia cannabis de zoroastra says:

i’ll writing in spanish to dont “look” like an idiot.

la interpretación mas acertada, es que el “play area” es una especie de altar para “el perro feroz” donde los niños pueden albergar sus ofrendas y dulces para este, no se por que un adulto psicopata pretende dulces y o otras tales cosas, tal vez tienen un mecanismo de trucaje muy similar a la modalidad “del cambio y recibó” como la Puerta en el JUEGO, entre los niños y este refinado y excesivamente (por no decir forsozamente) extravagante personaje que es Gregory Wilson.
    Dejenme reforzar esta hipotesis tomando como ejemplo:

a) Los regalos circundantes de la primera imagen (the map(25) (26) with the words “meatbone”, “minned pie”,”candy”,etc) ¿no son estas las ofrendas o items que vamos adquiriendo a lo largo del juego? probablemente estos items que estan nombrados alrededor del mapa son los regalos o ofrendas del “stray dog”.

b) Las cuerdas (the ropes in the balcony) probablmente no son una “exageración” de Jeniffer, por que aunque las facetas de los escenarios son pequeñamente subrealistas, esta etapa del juego es muy concreta apoyada por el contexto del capitulo, no encontramos ninguna “spider web made of ropes” ni “dead fishies floating” ni otro elemento fantastico hasta la “noche” del funeral… ¿por que deveria ser este el primero?. Probablemente “las cuerdas” como elemento en el balcon quieren señalar una via de escape a hurtadillas del orfanato quizas para encontrarse con “stray dog” en dicho lugar donde desembocan.

c)Otro ejemplo mas evidente, esta en los screen-caps de “What’s Going On in the Corner of the Play Area of the Orphanage? (Part 1)” segun parece señalar el artífice “POKERNEMESIS” la ventana de este cuarto da a parar al Play Area ¿no es verdad? no es ovio que el dibujo pintado en las pared es el del stray dog ¿quien mas podira ser?; ¿Acaso esos objetos sobre aquel mantel no son provisiones?¿que otras cosas pueden ser?,¿ofrendas quizá? el hecho de que este cuarto tiene vista a la “play area” con un dibujo de “stray dog” al lado de la ventana y estos objetos que parecen haber estado envueltos sobre ese mantel ¿no parecen refutar que la “play area” es un punto de encuentro de “los” o quizas uno de los huerfanos con “stray dog”?

d) Pero el ejemplo mas conveniente y primario de todos es la leyenda “Legend of Stray Dog / Stray Dog kidnaps kidz” que encontramos encima de los altares, cualquier diseñador de videojuegos en especial los de ATLUS tenderia en “prestar un elemento para desenvolver el medio”, incluso para aquellos iniciantes desarrolladores como lo son los de “punchline” cuya epoca en que lanzaron el “Rule of Rose” buscaban abrirse a otros medios desde que realizaron “Chulip”. En fin no es coincidencia que la leyenda este encima de los altares por que los altares tienen tanto que ver con la leyenda del stray dog como con todos los elementos citados anteriormente, solo piensenlo ¿por que esas marcas rectangulares en el mapa (map of the top) alrededor de cada item? ¿acaso no hay similitud entre las marcas dibujadas y estos altares? primero auque estos altares sean las tumbas de los infantes ¿¿¡acaso hay suficientes tumbas para todos ??. ¿¿No es extraño que encontremos esto alrrededor de la legenda?? empieza el juego vamos alrrededor del patio, nos encontramos con ese dibujo y su prosa, vemos abajo y estan esas “cosas” sobre un amplio y limpio suelo, uno piensa “oh there be children burried here”. El desarrollador elabora esto para confundir al jugador tanto como lo hace con el diario que encuentra jeniffer en el “smoking room” acerca de la muerte de los huerfanos.

Sin embargo siempre cabe la posibilidad en un juego tan nebuloso como lo es el rule of rose, que el desarrollador no entendiera por miles de razones que estaba haciendo para apaciguar el argumento,y que nosotros estemos analizando miles de sanadeces inutiles.

Estas no son teorias independientes , sino una mera hipotesis reforzado por las observaciones citadas anteriormente, pero por ultimo quiero señalar que en la imagen de “the balcony” durante “the funeral”, noten que la leyenda “Legend of Stray Dog / Stray Dog kidnaps kidz”… no se encuentra alli

17. Laura says:

I can’t see the images :’(
    I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Imageshack!

18. nadia cannabis de zoroastra says:

other thing that i should add, its the garbage and trash in front of the markers.

19. crayola says:

I’m not sure if this reply belongs here or under the “strange face sticking out of the wall in gingerbread house” but there is a tin of ice cream and heart shaped box in the play area above (you can see under the high res pictures) that exactly matches the same objects in the hallway opposite creepy face in the wall. these seem to symbolize valentines day so maybe it’s a hint about the time line ……. or that stray dog really did give sweets…..or maybe a hint to look for more hidden faces in play area. just an observation.

20. RosesInMay says:

I thought I’d translate and post nadia cannabis’s comment because for some reason she wrote it in Spanish and her ideas won’t be heard cause none of us speak Spanish to my knowlege and this will save everyone trouble! So here it is:

A more accurate interpretation is that the “play area” is a kind of altar to “the ferocious dog” where children can give their sweets to him. The things you have to get in the game could be gifts to StrayDog. Let me reinforce this hypothesis using as an example:

a) A lot of the things that are in this room are things that we find in the game. Could the things we find in the game be things the children offered to StrayDog?
    b) The lines (the ropes in the balcony) are probably not an “exaggeration” of Jennifer, that although aspects of the scenarios are little surreal, this stage of the game is supported by the very specific context of the chapter, we find no “spider web made of ropes” or “dead fishies floating” or other fantastic element to the “night” of the funeral … why deveria this be the first?. Probably “the ropes” as a point on the balcony like a sly way of escape from the orphanage to meet perhaps “stray dog” in that place empty.

c) Maybe the cloth was not only a place to put offerings but also a place where the orphans could have met with stray dog?
    d) There is similarity betweenBut the most convenient and primary example of all is the legend “Legend of Stray Dog / kidz kidnaps Stray Dog” found above the altar, any game designer especially Atlus would tend to “lend an element to develop the means “, even for those beginner developers as they are the” punchline “which launched the era when” Rule of Rose “seeking to open up to other media since they made” Chulip. ” In short it is no coincidence that the legend that over the altars altars that have much to do with the legend of the stray dog ​​as with all the aforementioned parts, Just think about why those rectangular markings on the map (map of the top) around each item? Is there no similarity between the marks drawn and these altars? first auque these altars are the graves of infants Are there enough graves for all of the children? Isn’t it strange that we find around the entire legend? We start the game alrrededor patio, we find that drawing and prose, we are down and those “things” on a large, clean soil, you think “oh There Be Children burried here.” The developer develops it to confuse the player as much as it does with the newspaper that Jennifer is the “smoking room” about the deaths of the orphans. (I don’t really know what this paragraph means)

Okay, there it is. Remember everyone these are not ideas of my own they were written by NADIA CANNABIS in Spanish and were translated by me. I have tried to make it easier to understand and have had to omit some parts and don’t understand some parts of it.

21. Ren says:

Thanks, RosesInMay, that’s a really big help. In response to part d)of Nadia Cannabis’s post, while they are gravestone-like markers, I agree with what Abbey said earlier-they’re a bit too close together to be actual graves, even for children. Though the symbolism of putting fake graves at a possible meeting/feeding site for Stray Dog is interesting-he puts his peas in the ground, afterall.

22. roja directa says:

roja directa…

[...]Rule of Rose Mysteries » What’s Going On in the Corner of the Play Area of the Orphanage? (Part 2)[...]…

23. Je terminerai de regarder ça ce ѕoir

24. They want you to come to the salon on a regular basis so they tell you that you need to get a haircut every four to six weeks, but it’s just a way for them to
    make more money. main light based permanent hair removal technique for
    men. Refrain or limit the amount of heat applied to your hair through the
    use of blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners, etc.

25. Encοre un post assurément séduisant

26. Puis-je copier 2 3 ligneѕ our mon site personnel ?

27. You actually make it appear so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually one thing that I think I would
    never understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely wide for
    me. I’m having a look ahead to your next submit, I’ll attempt to get the dangle of it!