Let me know in the comments-thread if you have any ideas about what is going on in this corner of the Play Area of the orphanage. This is during the night-time of “The Funeral” chapter.

Thanks, Jay, for the high-resolution screen-caps taken via emulator.

16 Responses to “What’s Going On in the Corner of the Play Area of the Orphanage? (Part 1)”
  1. Queen of the Fork says:

Studying the pictures very carefully, I want to point out a few things. In the second image, it’s pretty clear it says ‘dirt’ or ‘dirty’ on the back of her outfit. It also looks like to me the word ‘slut’ appears on her a little higher than where it says dirty. (I’m not so positive about that, but I can see a u, and a t, what I believe is an s. I think if you look at it carefully, there is a very very faint line for an l. Or that could be just the seam line from the material.) It also looks like there is a leaf on the back of her clothing.

In the first image, there is something on the floor next to the dresser in the lower right corner of the image. At first I thought it was possibly a single leaf, but it might be an indent from moving furniture, or maybe it’s from the ladder if they like to shift it around.

The box near the window with the two dolls inside, my first thought was IMP, but zooming in a little, I saw that there was hair on their heads, just a little, and it actually looks a little bit like the boys to me.

I’m afraid I wasn’t able to really make much sense of the last image. xD That pac-man like thing I thought was a pie at first, and really, I can’t fathom what it’s meant to be.

As for the drawing…I don’t believe it can be stray dog. The orphans always seemed to draw stray dog as a wolf-like creature. Then again, the boys DO seem to disappear. The only thing that makes sense is if they had seen Gregory at some point and actually tried to draw him.

Hmm…two dolls in the box. Then there are boxes underneath that blanket thing. The boxes are too large for an adult, but it’s just the right size for kids. Perhaps this little scene is a hint for what may have happened to the two boys?

2. elyonum says:

The two boxes under the sheet kind of remind me of a fort (you were NOT a child till you made a fort BD), but as I look closely at the boxes it reminds me of the “coffin” used to put Jennifer (and ultimately Brown) inside. A mock pre-funeral arrangement, perhaps?

3. Queen of the Fork says:

My first thought was a fort as well, but the boxes being there defeats the purpose of getting to hide under the ‘fort’. And since we know Brown is in a coffin later, perhaps there is a bit of a theme of death around.

4. DarkWindow says:

It could possibly be like the Cell if Bliss where they re-create past events.

Play-room always creeped me out o___o

5. Abbey says:

The word running parallel to stitch/thorny stem/centipede/whatever across her glutes looks like ‘strange’ or ‘stranger’ to me, with a large bird perched on the N. The little word above the T in ‘dirty’ looks like ‘pity’ or the beginning of ‘pitiful’. (The large shape on the right side of her torso totally looks like a croissant… Xavier?)

Since it’s the Funeral chapter, I agree that it makes sense that the construction looks like a mock grave with the boxes as coffins for Brown and Jennifer, the two gifts. The dolls seem to be attending the funeral. The only one we can get a good look at is the one with red hair, which looks like Diana.

I wonder if the grid pattern of the sheet is part of its original design or if it was drawn on with chalk or paint. There is what looks like another can just above the bear’s head that could have paint inside that was used for this purpose. It looks like it has a long thin brush coming out of it. On the other hand, it could just be another can being used for support, since the stick coming out of it looks like it could be attached to the Diana doll.

But if the grid is drawn on, what is its significance? It reminds me of the grids used at archeological dig sites. Maybe the grid is used to systematically examine what is in the boxes? But how does the grid work if the sheet is opaque? Is the grid on the sheet meant to correlate with the 4×4 grid on the cloth/paper that the pie is on?

The drawing on the wall is confusing. It definitely doesn’t look like Stray Dog. Its only really defining feature is its buck teeth. Diana sometimes wears the bag with the rat face. Although it looks like it’s wearing a dress, it seems strange that she would be drawn with such a monstrous body, since she seems to be shown as a kind of sexualized character. And then there’s Sir Peter the rabbit, but wasn’t he representative of Hoffman, who is dead (‘disappeared’) at this time?

We never see Wendy wearing a sack over her head like the others. If they assume other identities with animal faces to allow themselves to feel less guilty while doing bad things, I think it would make sense that the animal Wendy would choose would be a rabbit because of her pet. I think the drawing is meant to symbolize that Wendy is orchestrating the funeral for Jennifer and Brown.

6. Queen of the Fork says:

I actually kind of thought that the doodle could be a female as well. Because of the really rounded shoulders though I assumed the only female it could portray was Amanda, but the face really throws me off. It does look like teeth now that you mention it. As for the grid thing, my sister told me it looks like blueprints.

7. thetormentedprincess says:

I don’t know what to make of the drawing on the wall. Its true it could be Gregory, or it could be Amanda. I think the problem with this picture though is the face of it. While it’s true the portrayal of Stray Dog was always that of a wolf, I think the most logical explanation for the drawing would be Stray Dog, because I find no reason for the children to draw Amanda. Unless you do?

Other than that it would make sense for the Funeral chapter to have coffins. I agree with the mock rehearsal for Jennifer and Brown’s Funeral.

8. lackers says:

I disagree with the possibility of the drawing representing Wendy. I don’t think the red crayon aristocrats would represent their princess in a way that seems so monstrous. I am more inclined to the possibility arisen by Queen of Forks that some boys could at some point have seen Gregory.

But I bring another possibility, what if the drawing is an imp? It’s wearing a dress like they do and it has no face.

9. Blazenix says:

Is it possible the orphans shoved her in that coffin looking box rather than an actual one in the courtyard?
    The only reason I’m thinking this is because in the Little Princess chapter we see Dianna and the rest toss her into an actual coffin and carry her away to Joshua/Wendy. But if this actually happened then how can Jennifer remember talking to Wendy and going to the aristocrats herself? Unless it happened afterwards. Which is also possible.

I do believe that Jennifer might have actually witnessed them killing Brown, hence the memory of Diana and Eleanor beating the bag in Little Princess chapter.

I know as child when something frightening happens, you remember it worse than what it actually was. This is evident towards Jennifer when she remembers Mr Hoffman in the Sir Peter Chapter in a totally different way from what actually happened.

So its possible that Jennifer remembers more things more frightening and different than what actually happened.

10. Abbey says:

I don’t think the girls (or Wendy herself) would have a problem drawing Wendy in that way. Wendy doesn’t seem to have any qualms about taking on whatever form she needs to to get her job done. She frequently dresses like a boy in the game.

The fact the the figure in the drawing is so large and alone, and is looming over the mock grave, I think signifies that the person it represents is in charge of the scene. That’s why I don’t think it’s just an imp, or even one of the girls, who I think are represented by the dolls on the right. I think the only two feasible possibilities are Stray Dog (meaning it would represent they are sacrificed to him) and Wendy.

I think Wendy is the more likely of the two for the reasons I have already explained (it is logical this is her represention when she does bad things). Wendy also seems to thrive on her power and her abilility to manipulate the others. (She’s pretty psycho when she’s dressed as Joshua and giving Jennifer the business.) I also think Wendy would want credit for this, because this month’s gifts and the reason behind them are so personal to her. At the same time, she obviously cares very much about what Jennifer thinks of her. Why else would she disassociate herself from the rest of the Aristocrats for the majority of the game? Because of her guilt and the disconnect between her need to do these things to control Jennifer and desire that Jennifer makes the decisions Wendy wants all on her own (kind of like wanting to come across as a dainty lady, but not getting what she wants if she acts like one), I think it makes sense that Wendy would represent herself in a way that is completely different from her ‘with Jennifer’ appearance, wide-brimmed hat and roses.

Also, while I think a modified version of Stray Dog because the boys saw Gregory is a clever idea, I don’t think it is likely in this situation. I think the scene was constructed by the girls, because it represents the Jennifer/Brown funeral and it has the dolls stand in as the girls as witnesses. The placement of the drawing seems deliberate, so I don’t think a boy drew it and then the girls happened to build their construction in front of it. I also don’t think the girls would have suddenly changed their idea of Stray Dog, because Wendy has known what Gregory looks like since at least the time she was passing notes with Jennifer when she was living with him.

I wonder if the orphans ever thought of him as a literally being a dog, or if the drawing of a dog was just a representation that fit with his nickname. I think the symbol for Stray Dog is used pretty consistently in a way that he is easily recognised throughout the game. I think a new creature being drawn more likely means that this is a different person.

And frankly, I just don’t think it looks like Gregory. He doesn’t wear a dress and he doesn’t have buck teeth.

11. cupcakesryummy says:

the shoulders and baldness remind me off Hoffman xP

12. Choco-chan says:

Holy cow, I was just looking at my game box for Rule of Rose and noticed on the side between front and back is a small, full picture of what looks to be that figure on the wall! I’m thinking it’s Stray Dog, the pointed feet are similar and the teeth are there too. The figure on the wall is cut off around mid-face, but on the box it shows Stray Dog.

The only differences are that the box image has the coat colored in and no hands, so I’ll hazard a guess and say that the image on the orphanage wall is an anthropomorphism of Gregory as Stray Dog.

13. cupcakesryummy says:

@ Choco-chan

I thought that to, but thought it might be a little far of..Glad I am not the only one to think this….I have always found that picture of stray dog intriguing…

14. Lexzl says:

What if the dolls and crates are analogous with each other and the boys. Dolls in a box. Boys in a box. Crates like those in the funeral. Boys are thus dead.

15. Zen Maiton says:

Mm, this isn’t too plausible (in my eyes, anyways), but what if that drawing is actually like a map or a path?
    If looking regularly, though, the drawing almost looks like a sheep or lamb mixed with a human. (Literal scapegoat?)
    o 3o;

16. Blazenix says:

Actually come to think of it, most of the drawings are done in red if it was done by the aristocrat club girls (because their symbol is the red crayon).
    So this drawing because it’s black could have been done by Thomas. But if you notice Thomas’s drawings are all scribbly and shaky (as you see the train tracks along the floor).

So personally I think the drawing was done by either Nicolas or Xavier. At a first glance I thought that the thing in the middle of the creature drawn was teeth. But. If they were eyes that would look exactly like an imp. A larger imp maybe, but all the same.

I wondered whether the imps in Jennifers memory were actually Xavier and Nicolas. Yes I realise that almost all the orphans has a particular imp, but Xavier was the only one in the game that sort of directly mentioned the imps. He said “If children who don’t clean up spooky things will sweep them away”. The Imps were mentioned several times in diary extracts but never spoken of in the game.

I’ve always wondered what role Nicolas and Xavier played in the Club too, it mentioned what Susan did she apparently gathered evidence on Stray Dog. I wonder whether it was either Nicolas and/or Xavier who delivered the red crayons to new members.

If you listen to the imps voices, they sound similar to Nicolas when he told Jennifer “Go away! Go away! I’m a shadow, a shadow,”

(although that might be down to voice actors)