Here’s a link to Poor Translation? (Part 1).

Another text for which, it seems to me, that verification of the accuracy of the translation might be extremely important is the line that Wendy writes in her first letter to Jennifer: “I always watch you from the sky.” It is the word “always” that that particularly interests me.

The complete letter reads:

10 November

To Mr. Joshua, the bear in distress,

My name is Wendy. I always watch you from the sky. Mr. Joshua, why are you trapped down there?

For Wendy to be able to say, in the letter in which she introduces herself to Jennifer for the first time, “I always watch you from the sky“, suggests to me that Wendy has been observing Jennifer for quite a while—secretly?—without making contact. Is this the same impression one would get from reading the Japanese text? I would very much like to know.

Tags:
26 Responses to “Poor Translation? (Part 2)”
  1. I always felt it was a play on words by the writers of the game. Maybe Wendy did really write that exactly, but that also it means to say that Wendy is always watching her from the sky because she is in heavan and looks down on her. I think it may be a part of her dream telling her that Wendy is dead and maybe even hoping that she’s in heavan looking down on her. If that makes any sense…

@Katie Tidwell
    I think that the documents in the game (with the notable exception of the fanciful Daily Flamingo articles) are the most reliable accounts that we have of what actually happened in Jennifer’s forgotten past. I don’t favor the idea that one of these documents would be corrupted by the insertion of a statement from heaven made by Wendy. I think we should recognize the statement “I always watch you from the sky” as something genuine from Jennifer’s past, that was written by Wendy at that time, and recognize that the oddness of the statement is an indication to us, given us by the game authors, that this is some sort of clue. Provided, of course, that we aren’t dealing with a mistranslation artifact.

3. gidadra says:

Wendy just watched joshua from the little window in his basement room, from that perspective it could be seamed that she looked him from the sky, also if she looked at Jenn playing in the orphanage yard from the sickroom or the club at the atic, it would be the same.

Changing subject, today a friend of mine point me the possibility of Wendy being Gregory’s daughter – Joshua ‘s sister

sorry for my bad english XP

gidadra wrote:

if she looked at Jenn playing in the orphanage yard from the sickroom or the club at the attic, it would be the same.

Jennifer had not yet ever been to the orphanage at that time, nor would she have been out playing in Gregory’s yard to have been seen from the orphanage. Jennifer wrote, in response to Wendy’s letter: “I’ve been in this room ever since he saved me. He’s a nice person… but he won’t let me leave.”

gidadra wrote:

the possibility of Wendy being Gregory’s daughter – Joshua ’s sister

I’m not aware of any evidence that would support this idea. Why would Wendy get sent to an orphanage if her father is alive? And why would only Wendy be sent to the orphanage but not Joshua? The police, it should be noted, think Joshua is alive (Doolittle’s letter: “Mr. Wilson is father to a son who closely matches your description in your letter.”), if a government agency took Wendy away one would think that the situation with Joshua would have been investigated as well. And if, for some reason, Wendy was moved the short distance from her home with Gregory to the nearby orphanage, one would expect that Hoffman and Martha would have known about this. But Martha does not say anything about this when expressing her concern to the police:

“Yesterday, I saw them together again… Mr. Wilson and Wendy, a child at our orphanage.
    I am very concerned for her safety.”

If Wendy was Gregory’s daughter, there should be some supportive evidence given by the game authors. Where is it?

5. elyonum says:

Ah, I tried to see if there was any diference if I played the game in spanish, portuguese or french but they all say the same thing. I guess they translated directly from the english version. Sigh. If only my japanese wasn’t so basic!

6. gidadra says:

@PokerNemesis
    Well, if Gregory was the only parent alive and if he was mentaly deficient to rise a child it’s not too hard to think why the government took Wendy away, also in a small town/cmunity/etc it could be posible the short distant between the orphanage and Gregs house.

Wendy knows the house, she knows even where Greg keeped his gun as she shows in his drawing, and this explain why she was able to stay close at Gregory an manipulate him.

And about the evidence if there is evidence for all what happened in the story there wouldn’t be any mistery at all jeje

gidadra wrote:

Yes, but they would also have taken Joshua away and put him in the orphanage too, right? Or if Joshua was already known to be dead or missing (and for that reason couldn’t be moved to the orphanage), a later investigation by Doolittle wouldn’t make the comment: “Mr. Wilson is father to a son who closely matches your description in your letter” and consider no further concern is needed. They would have remembered that Wendy had been removed for her safety (according to your theory) and now be concerned for the safety of the son. But they aren’t concerned for the son’s safety. Hence, it follows logically from this lack of concern for the safety of the son, that they never took Wendy away from Gregory because he was thought to be unsafe either.

gidadra wrote:

Wendy probably discovered the house because it is near the rose garden, and it was likely Wendy’s assigned chore (when she was well enough) to get roses from that garden for flower vases in the orphanage. Jennifer tells us in the “Once Upon A Time” chapter, at the flower vase in the main hall of the orphanage: “There used to be beautiful roses here, picked by Wendy from the rose garden. …But, as with all things, they wilted away with the passage of time.”

As for why Wendy knew things about the inside of Gregory’s house, see my upcoming blog-posts.

gidadra wrote:

If there wasn’t evidence, placed by the authors, to be used to explain the mysteries of Rule of Rose, I wouldn’t have been blogging about that evidence for nearly three years now.

8. HidingInTheShadows says:

Also, if Wendy had been taken from Gregory, Martha’s last letter would’ve been worded differently. The way it’s worded says to me that prior to Martha seeing them together, there was no known contact between the two. If Wendy had been Gregory’s daughter, I think Martha would’ve known and commented accordingly.

9. Stephen says:

the ” I always watch you from the sky ” is to me a bad translation of ” I’m always watching out for you ” or ” I’m always thinkng or dreaming of you “

@Stephen
    There is a difficulty with those interpretations as well, it seems to me, because this phrase occurs in the same introductory letter in which Wendy informs Jennifer that her name is Wendy. Wendy hasn’t even been told Jennifer’s name yet! So how is it that she is already “always watching out for you” or “always thinking of you” or “always dreaming of you”?

We still have the implication, it seems to me, that Wendy has been spying on Jennifer for quite a while before making contact.

11. Stephen says:

I’m hazy as to the details, but my point was that the word “sky” is not something to ponder, Wendy was taken by Jennifer even if she was unaware of her name. btw any new horror games in the pike, Parasite Eve, the third birthday should eventually turn up , but maybe only as PSP

Stephen wrote:

my point was that the word “sky” is not something to ponder

It is the word “always” that is of concern to me, as it seems to indicate that Wendy has known about Jennifer for quite a while before finally making contact.

I used to wonder if “from the sky” might mean that Wendy somehow observed Jennifer from Joshua’s room, as that room had been wallpapered to look like sky. I cannot, however, imagine how Wendy could do this as Joshua’s room is on the opposite side of the house as Jennifer’s room of captivity.

13. Len says:

It’s been a while since I was last here. xD; Don’t remember which name I was under before, either. Key-something, I think.
    Anyway, I just wanted to mention that a video site I know of would probably have a walkthrough of the Japanese version of the game. I might be able to find the letter in the walkthrough, but reading it would be another thing… My Japanese reading skills aren’t exactly up to snuff.

Welcome back, Len!

15. Gurk says:

Some cursory googling leads me to this

“  4月10日
      囚われのジョシュア様へ

私はウェンディー
      いつもお空からあなたを見つめています
      ジョシュア様
      あなたはどうしてそこにいるの?”

It’s basically the same as the the english translation but my own quick probably weak translation of this would be:

April 10th
    To the captive/imprisoned Joshua

My name is Wendy
    I’m always watching/looking down at you from the sky
    Joshua,
    Why are you (down) there?

Sky is used by Wendy in a mostly figurative sense i think, probably wants to frame herself as a protective angel-like figure, in the same way I suspect she uses ‘always’ for the effect only, rather than it being strictly true, we don’t know her as being a particular honest and straight forward person, all smoke and mirrors really. She’s just writing something a bit poetic that appeals to her own sense of romanticism.

Welcome, Gurk!

Thanks a lot for the translation!

I’m not quick to assume that Wendy must be speaking figuratively about the word “always” because, as I will be getting around to talking about as soon as I get my video done about the murder of Martha, I think that Wendy was the “Joshua” of Gregory’s journal entries, and so I don’t find it improbable that at all that she has been watching Jennifer for quite a while.

Wendy may indeed think of herself as a protective angel-like figure for Jennifer, and perhaps that isn’t so far from the truth, considering that Jennifer survived her stay with Gregory, whereas other children apparently did not.

17. AmoVulture says:

Is it possible that Wendy knew Joshua before he died?
    She writes her first letter to Joshua the bear, not to Joshua himself or Jennifer, which I find strange. Also, when Jennifer meets her in the rose garden, she suggest they name the bear Joshua. Is the bear something Joshua owned, or something Jennifer brought with her? And why would she suggest they name the bear Joshua if she already named it earlier in the first letter she gave to Jennifer?
    As for the word “always”, I doubt Wendy could watch Jennifer all the time. But if she was in charge of picking roses, she could have watched her during that time without being found out (Hoffman thought she was out picking roses, so she wouldn’t be missed). In my opinion, the “always” is just Wendy trying to be more dramatic. And “from the sky” is just that she is looking down from the basement window, and thus is above Jennifer.
    The theory about Wendy being the sick Joshua of Gregorys diary is quite interessting. That explains how she knew Joshuas name, and possibly how she found out about Jennifer. If Gregory discovered Jennifer walking around with amenisia and took her in as “Joshua”, then it must have happened during the time when Wendy was not in the Gingerbread House, but back at the orphanage. And when she discovered that Gregory had another Joshua, she began to spy on him/her while being assigned to fetch roses from the garden.
    She must have known where the keys to the basement door was (it explains how she could let Jennifer out) and sneaked out when she needed to go back to the orphanage. That would also explain why Gregory was out looking for Jennifer after she escaped. Wendy dissapered while dressed as Joshua, so he was used to “Joshua” escaping every now and then.
    But if that is true, why did Wendy dress up like Joshua in the first place? Could it have something to do with her Stray Dog legend? It does say that “Stray Dog gives us sweets”. Maybe Gregory spoiled her while she was dressed up as his dead son.

18. Zukichalice says:

Is Jennifer not realized that Wendy is keep an eye on her if Wendy really is keep an eye on her (“always watching”) from the basement window(“from the sky”),like the Gingerbread House chapter (if I correct) when Jen talk with Wendy when Wendy was in front of the window?

Is Joshua really dead? Is there any possibility that Jennifer is Joshua? is there any possibility when Joshua run away from Gregory’s house with Wendy he become a she? Or joshua is a girl? maybe Gregory make she become he,then when he run away with Wendy, he became she again. But if Joshua is Jennifer (or the opposite), then who’s the real prince? Joshua or Jennifer? As we saw the scene when Jennifer and Wendy at the garden, she (Jennifer) said that she will protect Wendy and will be together forever,right? (That if I correct again) I think from what she said,why is she not becoming the prince and why Joshua the bear is the prince? Or is the real Joshua is the previous prince? Isn’t Wendy love Jennifer? Then why isn’t she made Jennifer the prince before Jen tell her that Wendy was a liar? In the letter that Wendy wrote to “J”, she said that “J” was her prince, but is it, the letter,really addreased to Jennifer? Or is it actually addreased to the real Joshua? I think a doll like Joshua the bear wouldn’t reply Wendy’s letter (of course a doll can’t do that except there’s a doll master).

I’m really sorry for the bad english (_ _)

19. untamedsquid says:

I think it’s simply because Wendy and the other girls believe the orphanage is an airship, and in that case they’d be looking down on the Gingerbread house from the sky. Too simple?

20. livorna says:

I think it’s not ‘I always watch you from the sky’ in the sense that she watches Jennifer/Joshua all the time or very often; I think it’s ‘I always watch you from the sky’ in the sense that every time Wendy looks in on Jennifer, she’s locked in the basement… I’m hoping I’m not off base with this…

Welcome livorna!

But you are still saying “every time”. And Wendy is saying this on the first occasion of speaking to Jennifer. So Wendy has looked multiple times before, without saying anything. And we don’t know how many times or how long ago the first time was.

22. Stephen says:

there isn’t anything here that covers what I came across so here goes. The mystery was for me the use of the word “sky”. This has been thought to be a bad translation ? I’m now surprised that other people have not brought up this association : At the very creepy end to the Japanese film One Missed Call, the word ” sky ” is used front and center. At a time when the heroine is is big danger from being killed by an animated corpse the hero sees the spectre of his murdered sister who says ” We all have our own sky ” This seems to be a reference to individual reality or fate. The closing song of the film several times refers to sky such as ” I thought there was only one sky ” . Like the ending of the film itself the meaning is unclear to me, but in ROR Wendy’s sky statement could mean something other than Wendy seeing J from the Window. Could mean in J’s subconscious mind she associates the dead Wendy as following her after the events of the massacre throwing this idea into the events of what is to us, the ROR game. Anyway the trans word sky is

23. Stephen says:

had to cut short the above post as I’m at a library and my time was running out. To conclude : the English word “sky” appears to be a standard translation of some Japanese word which has at least a possible metaphysical meaning. “Sky” in ROR could mean Wendy’s world, before and after her death. Since the two important characters in J’s subconscious world are Brown and Wendy J’s subconscious sense that Wendy is still around watching her from the sky ( Wendy’s world/reality ) makes sense and gives even more dramatic strength to the part when she leaves W. behind. Maybe I’m wrong (again) and the word “sky ” as translated from Japanese is old business, but it is new to me.

@ Stephen
    For a long time, I tried to find some way to make a connection between Wendy’s “I always watch you from the sky” and the fact that the wallpaper in Joshua’s room has a blue-sky-and-clouds pattern. I searched for a hole in the floor that Wendy might have peered through, but, checking the map of the house, it is clear that Joshua’s room is located on the other side of the house from the basement room in which Jennifer was kept and there is no overlapping area from which to spy on Jennifer in the basement from Joshua’s room.

25. best asiatic lilies flower Haymarket VA

Rule of Rose Mysteries » Poor Translation? (Part 2)

26. have flowers delivered

Rule of Rose Mysteries » Poor Translation? (Part 2)