Sir Peter runs toward Stray Dog

In the “Once Upon A Time” chapter of Rule of Rose, Jennifer tells us the following story at the blocked off toilet stall in the Men’s Lavatory:

Once, Susan started a rumor about voices coming from this room at night… It turned out it was only the door creaking in the wind, but one night, sounds came from the room even with the windows shut. Susan jumped out of her bed and screamed. It was really just a prank by Nicholas and Xavier. From then on, the room was believed to be haunted and was considered off limits.

One question that comes to my mind is one of translation. Does “room” refer to the entire lavatory (as would be expected of normal English usage) or does “room” refer to the blocked off toilet stall?

In either case, I wonder if we are missing something if we just assume that this little story of Jennifer’s only exists to give us an innocent “slice of life” from the orphanage.

Jennifer, herself, sees a ghost in the course of the game. She sees Martha’s ghost in Clara’s cabin. And Clara’s cabin is also the location where Jennifer sees Martha alive, but bound and bagged. I suggested previously that Martha died at the location in the orphanage represented as Clara’s cabin in the airship and that’s why Jennifer sees her ghost there. See The Mysteries of Clara’s Cabin (Part 2): Martha’s Death.

Could it be that the orphans are quick to think that the Men’s Lavatory is haunted because they think that Hoffman died (or something happened that led to his death) there?

In a previous blog-post, I suggested that Thomas’s doodlings on Hoffman’s portrait in the Reception Room contained a threat that Stray Dog would “get” Hoffman.  See my See-all Walkthrough, With Commentary: “The Little Princess” Chapter (Part 14): Reception Room: Stray Dog Gobbles Hoffman In Hoffman’s Portrait.

I have also, in previous blog-posts suggested that the “Sir Peter” storybook tells a story that is, at least in part, about Mr. Hoffman. See:

“Sir Peter” Storybook: The Story of Hoffman? (Part 1)
Clara and Hoffman: Mermaid and Hare?
“Sir Peter” Storybook: The Story of Hoffman? (Part 2)

In the “Sir Peter” storybook we see a drawing of Stray Dog at a door with a sink beside it (you can also see this drawing on page 20 of the game handbook). I suggest that the sink represents the location as being that of a lavatory. In the storybook, Sir Peter is running, looking for a toilet, and is running toward Stray Dog (who is apparently at a lavatory). Could part of the message of the storybook be that Stray Dog “got” Hoffman in a lavatory? And, if so, wouldn’t the lavatory, that Mr. Hoffman would be expected to use, be the Men’s Lavatory?

In Jennifer’s little story of the Men’s Lavatory (in the “Once Upon A Time” chapter), Susan is the one most worried about the sounds she hears. Is it a coincidence that Susan was working with Meg to investigate Stray Dog? In Meg’s Notebook, Meg wrote:

Stray Dog investigation:

1F Restroom

Gather notes from rumors scribbled on walls: assigned to Susan.

Did the orphans know, or have reason to suspect, that something happened to Mr. Hoffman in the Men’s Lavatory? Is this why the Lavatory (or lavatory stall) was made off-limits and the fear of haunting took hold?

Thanks to Passerby for the snapshot of the “Sir Peter” storybook used to illustrate this blog-post.

Tags: , , , , ,
52 Responses to “Did the Orphans Think That the Men’s Lavatory Was Haunted By Mr. Hoffman’s Ghost?”
  1. Lost Orphan says:

I wondered about this for a long time, especially since normally to close something off you either nail it shut or nail boards across the opening. In this case, the stall door is gone, the stall is stuffed full of sacks and boards are nailed across the opening.

Could the sacks be another case of a connection between RoR and El Orfanato? Do the sacks conceal Hoffman’s remains? Perhaps the voices were conversations between Hoffman and someone concerning his activities. Who is the someone? We have a large list of potential suspects, but I prefer to think probably it was Martha confronting him about what was going on. It was an out of the way area thatthe orphans probably wouldn’t have gone to during the night since there is a lavatory upstairs. But who listened in?

Since we don’t know what is in the sacks it is left to speculation as to whether Hoffman’s remains are there. Could it be that the sacks contain rags or other sacks? Could some contain lime to conceal the odor resulting from decomposition? If so, have we finally found Hoffman’s resting place? The question remains though, who killed him if that is what happened. I prefer to think that he was led into an ambush by one of the orphans and killed by a large accomplice. But where was he hidden unitl the stall was boarded up? Why would someone take the chance of discovery by bringing a body back into the building.

Perhaps, the lavatory was merely the scene of the murder and his remains were disposed of in the well by the rickety shed. The lavatory became a scene of haunting due to the violent death that occured there.

Lost Orphan wrote:

I’m inclined to think that Hoffman’s remains are not in the toilet stall, as Hoffman disappeared nearly two weeks before Martha’s interrupted letter was written. Would the orphans have hidden Hoffman’s corpse there with Martha still around? She couldn’t help but notice and disapprove of the blocked off toilet stall and the bags, I would think. I know that we see a different toilet stall blocked off during “The Funeral” chapter while Martha is still around, but I have proposed before that time is messed up in that chapter of the game, and so it could be, I think, that we see elements from different times placed together in that chapter.

Continued:
    The windows of Martha’s room face the outside of the orphanage. This might have emboldened the orphans to bury, at night while Martha slept, the corpse of Mr. Hoffman in the inner courtyard.

There is an animation showing a skeleton (probably in that courtyard), and Thomas’s skull drawings may also indicate a skeleton or two in the inner courtyard.

See:

A Human Skeleton: Is it Martha?

Thomas’s Skull Drawings

Thanks a lot for the great pictures Passerby!

I should point out, however, that what one doesn’t see from the handbook version of the “Sir Peter” storybook illustration is that, in the illustrations of the storybook itself, Stray Dog in on the right hand page and Sir Peter, running to the right (as if toward Stray Dog), is on the left hand page. Connecting the two illustrations in one’s mind (as if part of one large illustration) has Sir Peter running toward a lavatory (needing a toilet) and seeming to encounter Stray Dog at the lavatory.

5. Passerby says:

I have a question, forgive my ignorance, about a door.

In the first class guest sector (where the aristocrat club door is), past the dressing room and VIP room, down the hall that appears to be a dead-end at first, there is a door that looks like a wall. Where does that go?

The last time I checked, it was locked, and I don’t remember ever going in there.
    ——————–
    And just so I’m not completely off topic…Doesn’t the poster in the Sir Peter chapter say to catch “one-horned” Peter? Not Peter the rabbit, or even just Peter. Now, why would a man like Hoffman (as he is assumed to be have rather) have “one-horn”? Think about it. If that relates to Hoffman and not the rabbit as I think it does, it adds a little more support for the orphans killed him/tricked-him-into-dying theories.

And is this the picture you seek?

Looking at these pictures, I think that the Stray Dog could be the “real” thing, or it could be two orphans standing on each others’ shoulders…Anyways.
    Could the “sweets” (ice cream) symbolize Diana or some other enticing young girl used to lure Hoffman to the room and his doom?
    A girlfriend is your “sweetheart” and one can lick an ice cream and during cunnilingus (and I found the word for the female version of fellatio…yay?)

Passerby,

Thanks for the picture! That definitely shows the relationship between both pages.

Re the secret door…

If you obtain all 4 perfume bottles, and turn them in to the gift box, you can pass through the door in the “Rag Princess Sews” chapter. It opens into a corridor that leads to a room in the orphanage attic. This is the same room described in my blog-post: “Japanese Names in the Orphanage“.

Entering the room during the “Rag Princess Sews” chapter, you can obtain a revolver from a table and use it to have Brown search for bullets (see “Item FAQ” linked from the “Important Resources” page).

Also on the table, if I recall correctly, is a wreath and a slip of paper with writing on it (which I haven’t managed to be able to read).

7. Masq says:

Something else about the bathroom…

When you sort of lose Peter in the Crew’s Cabin (10) ((Where you first see Diana)), you go around the other way and you can find him again at the bathroom stall Brown is barking at…

but if you open any of the other stalls (I think it might be before this part…) I think an imp comes out…

Was the “boarded off” stall in the same bathroom as the “we’re watching you” stall? If so, do you think it means Hoffman might have done something in here and one of the orphans bore witness to it? And that’s why this is his place of death? Either that or Lost Orphan’s theory…

I just kinda thought it was interesting…

Masq asks:

The “we’re watching you” stall is upstairs, and the Men’s Lavatory is on the ground floor just across the small corridor from the Classroom.

9. Lost Orphan says:

After my last post in this thread and PN’s response a thought came to mind (scary, huh?). We have basically established that Hoffman met his end at the end of a rope (the cover of the storybook is the key to this thought). What if the cutscene that we see at the end of the “Sir Peter” chapter and the song that the orphans are chanting as they view the object hanging from the tree represent the end of Hoffman? Does the bag that we see represent his body only replaced with a bag to satisfy a sensitive psyche. I think that it does.

If we continue with the theory that “One-Horned Peter” represents Hoffman (I think the one-horn represents his top hat) then I think that the chant finally makes sense. Tuesdays line says “almost made it free” and Wednesdays says “didn’t think to flee” and I think that this truly DOES represent what happened.
    Hoffman at first made plans to leave the orphanage therefore nearly “made it free”, but was intercepted by the orphans and “didn’t think to flee” because they were only children. They beat him senseless (bloody) and stuffed him into a bag to drag him to the place where he was hung. No one would have paid much mind to a group of children with a bag. Especially since the nearest neighbor was slightly unhinged anyhow. I don’t think that he was buried in the courtyard, but perhaps in some other location (Stray Dog’s Garden?) under Joshua’s direction.

As he hung there he was a “sight to see”. Perhaps Jennifer did witness this scene, but beacuse of her “new” status and the fact that she was not a member of the RCA she wasn’t permitted to get very close. Perhaps Amanda played a part in leading Hoffman to his demise by her tattling. She plays a major part in the chapter by her insistence on helping Jennifer in her presentation of the rabbit to the RCA. When she failed and Jennifer succeeded her usefulness was deminished.

I do admit that I have a problem with Jennifer leading someone to his death, but we do not know her mental state at the time.

Lost Orphan wrote:

Back in April of 2008, Stephen wrote, of one-horned Peter:

Possibly it has a sexual connotation ( like a unicorn ) , in this hothouse of relationships giving a rabbit with the name of Peter ( male organ ) a phallic addition seems more in the spirit of things.

I think that Stephen’s idea was given short shrift at the time (including by me), as RozenMaiden had not yet proposed the idea that there was a correspondence between Peter and Mr. Hoffman. But considering that correspondence, and Mr. Hoffman’s likely sexual transgressions, I think that the idea of a phallic connotation for one-horned Peter deserves some serious consideration.

11. Cherrona says:

I wonder what the cage on the left side of the left page represents? Could it mean he was trapped, say by the orphans, made it free, started to run, and met stray dog?
    Or that he was trapped in the orphanage with all the young girls, tried to run, but met his end?

I like Lost Orphan’s theory though. About them beating Hoffman, bagging him, and taking him to the well to string him up. But it would’ve been hard to drag him there. After all, he was an adult. There may be a lot of orphans, but dragging an unconscious adult all that way might be impossible.
    But that does raises the questions; if Jennifer really did help them catch Hoffman, then why? And how? I doubt she would’ve known they were going to kill or harm him though (or maybe she just lied to herself saying they wouldn’t).

PokerNemesis said:

That’s pretty much what I always thought was meant by ‘one horned Peter’.

If Hoffman was indeed attacked or killed or something in the lavatory, then maybe the story book is just referring to needing to use the bathroom, but was attacked before he could relieve himself? That line could just be as simple as that (and a hint as to how it happened).

Cherrona wrote:

One can find a wheelbarrow in the Rickety Shed. That could have been used for the job.

13. ~D says:

It’s 4:45AM where I am so first off, I apologize if this isn’t written in the most sensical of terms. Also, hi, I’m new. *waves*

The picture shows what is obviously Straydog in the bathroom stall. I believe he is only holding an ice cream to harken back to the idea that he gives sweets to lure children. Now, normally I don’t take much stock in game intros since they are supposed to just give a general idea of the game and get people interested. However, there is a scene where Jennifer is in the bathroom, about to look in a stall when Brown gives an alarm out the door and Gregory/Straydog comes out of the stall and grabs her. Could this be a link to the idea that Gregory got Hoffman in that bathroom stall? They talk in the poem about Sir Peter needing to run to a restroom. Could the kids or maybe even just Wendy have given him something that basically gave him the runs so he rushes to the toilet and then…why hello gregory! *dead* They even talk about him being bagged and whisked away, which I think is another link to gregory:

Come Tuesday, he bags the pea.

I don’t remember there being anything to directly link the children to his death like there is with Martha. The only thing I can think of is when he is in his office talking to the imps which are of course, the children doing something wrong. Could that have been when they gave him whatever it was that made him have to rush to the bathroom? I can’t remember at what point that happens so I can’t look it up at the moment to see what they say exactly. But, I have a feeling that that is how Gregory got a hold of him. There seem to be a lot of links to Gregory being the one that killed him but the children having something to do with it so it seems that this scenario would fit that idea. Also, since the kids obviously don’t know that Gregory is Straydog, but they had an idea that Hoffman’s death probably happened in the restroom, it would explain why they were very on edge and determined it to be haunted even after they found out it was really just Nicholas and Xavier trying to scare them.

I know I had more to say but I am extremely tired so it’ll have to wait. Also here is the poem for anyone who might not remember it.

Sir Peter, Sir Peter, went out for a stroll.
    Sir Peter, Sir Peter, put in a cage, had to hold it in.
    Sir Peter, Sir Peter, needs to go right now, doesn’t want to sin.
    Sir Peter, Sir Peter, bagged and whisked away, before he found a toilet.
    Good-bye, Peter. Good-bye.

Okay wait I did remember one last thing. Put in a cage, had to hold it in could be referrjng to his office and they might have done something to jam the door for a time to make sure that he would really have to rush when he managed to get it open. I really don’t lean towards it but it is still an idea worth throwing out there.

Welcome, ~D!

15. Passerby says:

Hmmm…I have had a thought. Slippery little devils.

Anyways, under the theory that Hoffman was hanged, and then the idea that the story did in fact mean he never went to the bathroom and not as a metaphor (or maybe as a metaphor and literally?), people who are hanged soil themselves, correct? It may be a inference that he was hanged under that logic. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Lost Orphan wrote:

I think you mean the animation at the beginning of the “Sir Peter” chapter of the game, not the cover of the storybook. The cover of the storybook has no rope or hanging or death. But in the animation we see Sir Peter hang from a gallows.

See the animation at the beginning of this YouTube video:

17. elyonum says:

“A thought just occurred to me; the story book says Sir Peter was whisked away before finding a toilet, and one of the toilets is supposedly haunted.
    If Hoffman was indeed attacked or killed or something in the lavatory, then maybe the story book is just referring to needing to use the bathroom, but was attacked before he could relieve himself? That line could just be as simple as that (and a hint as to how it happened)”.

I’m not sure how, but I have a sort of feeling (well, theory really) that maybe Hoffman was going to the bathroom stalls to hide, but was intercepted. Supposing my theory makes any logical sense, the question is: what was he running from?
    And I also remembered the scene in the intro where Gregory “kidnapps” Jennifer in the stall. Maybe Jennifer really SAW it happen, and her poor young mind being so traumatized, she sees it happen to herself in her dream-fantasy.

18. Cherrona says:

Passerby wrote:

Sometimes the condemned have been known to wet themselves. Check out the link:
    Creepy. o_O
    I guess a lot of people didn’t really need to know that. XD

19. iKing says:

Following off of what elyonum said(got me thinkin) was the stall Greg pulled jennifer into the same as the hoffman stall? I’ll have to go check…

It should be noted, before people become too certain that the sealing/filling of the right-most stall in the Men’s Lavatory occurred because of something that happened to Hoffman in that stall, that the right-most stall of the Women’s Lavatory is also sealed/filled in an analogous manner.

It might be significant that, of the three lavatories in the orphanage, it is only the two ground floor lavatories that have the right-most stall sealed/filled.

To iKing:
    The stall that Jennifer is pulled into in the E3 video was not a right-most stall.

22. Odile says:

Long-time lurker, first time commenter! Just wanted to say… isn’t there a scaffold (or something like one) built by the children in the orphanage lobby in later chapters?

Welcome, Odile!

Odile asks:

Yes. That’s in the segment of “The Funeral” chapter before the imp-attack. I intend to discuss it some during my up-coming blog-post “Was Hoffman Hanged? (Part 2)”.

24. Masq says:

The stall Jen is pulled in is a left most stall I think…

25. Susan is the one most worried about the sounds she hears. Is it a coincidence that Susan was working with Meg to investigate Stray Dog?

Another wonderful point. I think there’s definitely something up with the bathroom in relation to Hoffman. Seems like too many clues are pointing that way!

The stall Jen is pulled in is a left most stall I think…

Even so, being that it’s the trailer… maybe that was that stall was original plan. Who knows how close or far the game was to being finished when they made that movie? But still, there’s a connection. Very fascinating. ^_^

26. iKing says:

Hey…I think this might have something to do with it:

After you get the 2 leaf clover and Nicholas runs off you can find him again. Go to the men’s lavaratory next to the bathroom where the trail of red feathers led(were still in chapter 2). Open the stall on the right and you’ll find him there swinging hips for some reason. If you talk to him he’ll either say: being a shadow is tiring,dont talk to me,or “…”

…mughn. I have clues but I can’t string them together.

27. iKing says:

(continued):

oops! posted tht 2 soon sry.

what I mean by clues is he’s in the right-most stall(hofman)
    He was one of the kids who did the “ghost in the bathroom” prank

this puzzles me. The storybook ment when it said “The clover slipped into the shadows” you would find it in Nicholas’ shadow.
    When he says “I’m a shadow” he means just ignore me

But what does he mean when he says “being a shadow is tiring”?

The clue about shadows has me stumped.

28. Masq says:

Lol

It’s his little play on words. “I’m a shadow!” as in, don’t bother me, then he makes a play on those words by saying, “Being a shadow is tiring…”

Which makes me think… you’re a shadow when you play follow the leader too…

Was Nicholas following someone?

29. elyonum says:

Hey PN, I don’t know if you’ve mentioned this, but I was thinking about Nicholas…

You know the way he’s always saying “I’m a Shadow, a shadow!!!” ?
    I was watching this movie called “The shadow”, and it seems it was a VERY opular serialized comic and radio show in the 30’s.
    Any ideas? o.o

30. RozenMaiden says:

Um… Maybe The Stray dog illustration is there to represent Hoffman being taunted?

Quote Hoffman’s Diary:

11 November 1930
    I’m leaving the orphanage.

Clara’s here to look after things, and the children are quickly growing up.
    I’ve done right and fulfilled my duty.

…Bloody hell! All the trouble started when that wretched child arrived…
    I’ve done nothing to deserve this!

I’m not clear on who the “wretched child” is supposed to be, but since Wendy is the one getting all the kids in panic about Stray Dog, lets assume it’s her.

Perhaps he was been teased? Perhaps it represents him being threatened WITH stray dog, rather than BY stray dog.

Sorry, I’ve got to go… if this isn’t clear I’ll try and explain it better later. ^^;

31. Choco-chan says:

Argh, speaking of Hoffman, I was flipping through the player manual that came in the box and came across a picture of what looked like Amanda capturing Hoffman in a cage. There was something else interesting too, but I forgot what it was, and I forgot what page they were on. I know they both involved Hoffman though. ><;;

32. Anonymous says:

rofl at Choco! ^_^

It’s page 25, Amanda is dressed as a witch and Hoffman is in the cage. Is the other one (page 27 and bottom of page 11) where Hoffman is in a bag with two imps on either side of him?

Umm, what is going on with the bear on page 9? o.o; http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9641/bear1us7.jpg
    I’m not referring to the red flower growing above his ear btw… >_>

Edit: This is RozenMaiden btw ^_^;;; forgot to sign in! >_>;

Choco-chan and AnonyMaiden,

Strictly speaking, we are speaking of images showing Sir Peter in a cage, and Sir Peter bagged. Sir Peter in a cage is consistent with the image in the Sir Peter storybook that I have posted, with my blog-post above, in which Sir Peter breaks out of that cage. Before that image in the storybook, we are shown Sir Peter in the cage. The storybook ends with Sir Peter bagged and whisked away.

About the bear… I dare not comment.

34. RozenMaiden says:

PN said

About the bear… I dare not comment.

It’s probably better that way. XD

EDIT: But what’s witchy Amanda doing there?

Didn’t Martha and Amanda have issues? ..something about make-up…?…

35. Choco-chan says:

RozenMaiden as Anonymous said:

rofl at Choco! ^_^

W-W-Well hey, I just remembered it from a few days ago, s-so I…>////////<;;; *whimper* The instruction booklet scares me, it smells like crayons. D: *sniffle*

Flower on Joshua the Bear?….! Oh! He’s a Chia Pet! J-J-J-JOSHUA~! XD

Now I need some brain food, some ch-ch-ch-chocolate should do the trick. XP Okay, that’s enough.

On a more serious note, I do know we’re seeing Sir Peter, strictly, I guess I just got caught up in the Hoffman-as-Peter theory. It’s a bit odd, but I think that Hoffman was maybe the rabbit itself in that fight. When he’s defeated, the warm bag with the bunny inside always appears right where one defeats him.

36. Jiinkei says:

PokerNemesis Says:

Back in April of 2008, Stephen wrote, of one-horned Peter:

I don’t know if this has been brought up already or not, but lately I’ve been researching monsters from various cultures (for a personal art project :3), and while I was looking at some beasties from Islamic legend, what else did I find…but a one-horned rabbit?

“The Al-mi’raj is a large, harmless-looking yellow rabbit with a single, two foot long, black, spiraling horn protruding from its forehead, much like that of a unicorn.

The Al’Mir’aj frightens other animals and they will always flee from their presence. Despite its docile appearance, the Al-Mir’aj is actually a ferociously territorial predator known to be able to kill animals and people many times their own size with a few stabs of its horn. It also has an immense appetite and can devour other living things several times its size without effort.

The people of the island were so terrified of the Al-Mi’raj eating them and their livestock that they would turn to witches to ward them away as soon as the rumor of a Miraj met their ears. It was reported that the witch would charm the Miraj, rendering it harmless so they could remove them from the area.”

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-mi%27raj

I much prefer the idea of the “one-horn” as a phallic symbol (it just fits with the story so neatly), so I haven’t really decided just how much I think the Al-mi’raj relates, but I still find the correlation kind of intriguing. Especially the description of a “docile” appearance vs. a predatorial instinct (where Hoffman’s kindly teacher exterior contrasts his sexual predation).

…I was just about to submit this and then I thought, maybe that’s why Amanda’s dressed up like a witch? The wiki does say witches are the only way to get rid of Al-mi’raj. I don’t think children in 1930s England would necessarily know that…but the game creators might?

37. RozenMaiden says:

That’s really interesting information Jiinkei! This is the first time that I’ve ever heard of the Al-Mir’aj (what an awesome mythical creature!).
    ^_^m/

I think it fits the Hoffman as Sir Peter theory really well!

EDIT: I see no reason why it couldn’t be a phallic symbol as well as refer to the Al-Mir’aj.

Jiinkei wrote:

and RozenMaiden responded:

See my blog-post from November 2007:
    One-horned Peter, the Miraj

39. RozenMaiden says:

Cool! Thanks for the link! ^_^

40. silentPrincess says:

Hello first of all thank you for creating this blog. It’s such a big help. And I read this blog everyday since I discovered it last week! I’m really glad the this kind of blog exists!

I was just wondering, in the game intro, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfxV0MqpeQ starting at around 4:15, is it just me or am i hearing voices and footsteps ? I believe its somewhere outside the lavatory(where brown’s growling at).. i think the other voice sounded like Hoffman, the other voice sounded like a girl. If so, what were they doing. I can’t hear it clearly because of brown’s growling.. I’m wearing a headset with max volume.

I thought it could just be Jennifer’s voice, but as I watched closely, jennifer’s mouth was closed.
    sorry for my bad english.

41. Nope says:

Also, in the trailer Stray Dog surprises jennifer in the lavatories…it probably was the women’s bathroom, but that might still indicate that he might have dome the same to Hoffman…? This conclusion is a bit forced and far-fetched, but it’s just a detail that might help enrich your theory?

42. Nope says:

I checked the trailer again and there is a boarded stall…so it probably is the men’s bathroom?

Welcome, Nope!

Nope wrote:

It is definitely the Women’s Lavatory in that is the location in the E3/pregame video.

Both the Men’s Lavatory and the Women’s Lavatory have a boarded-up stall, and in both cases it is the stall furthest to the right. But it is easy to distinguish between the two lavatories.

The Men’s Lavatory has only 3 stalls. The Women’s Lavatory has 5 stalls.

The boarded-up stall in the Men’s Lavatory is furthest from the entrance to the lavatory. The boarded-up stall in the Women’s Lavatory is nearest to the entrance of the Lavatory.

The boarded-up stall in the Women’s Lavatory is filled up with sacks, but the boarded-up stall in the Men’s Lavatory has no sacks inside (although there are two filled-up sacks outside of the stall).

44. KatMiko11 says:

Okay this may be alittle of topic (and im sorry if it is) but ive always heard from my old caltholic great grandmother that going to the bathroom was a sin (when i was way little) and when i grew uo alittle i asked her about it again and she said that “well ‘going to the bathroom’ was an old english term for Masterbateing”

could that retate to like anything?

HOpe tHiS hElpS :3

~ okay so like so this may have some errors my GG was a crazy old bat xD

KatMiko

45. Mireyuki says:

Poker Nemesis, in posts 6-7 when you talked about the wreath with a slip of paper, I saw one in the attic, is that where the door leads? I dont think I was able to read what the slip of paper though. But for some reason I don’t think that is the same wreath, I didnt see the revolver. I think it was two chairs tied together with rope and in front of it on the table was a wreath with a slip of paper.

Mireyuki asks:

I saw one in the attic, is that where the door leads?

Yes, the secret door in the first class guest sector of the airship leads to a room that can later be found in the attic of the orphanage (during “The Funeral” chapter), but you can’t find a gun there at that later time. If you switch camera angles, you can find the Japanese names on a wall. See Japanese Names in the Orphanage.

47. Mireyuki says:

Okay thanks. I think I’m due for another replay anyway.

48. Firewitch1207 says:

Maybe the kids assumed that the bathroom was haunted before. Hoffman could have use he toilet stall as a spot to masturbate after lights out so he wouldn’t be caught. The moans from the process or end of could create wails and moans like a ghost. Finally could peter’s “horn” be an erection & the name was what they linked it to

Welcome, Firewitch1207!

Somehow, I don’t think the game’s writers were wanting to take our minds there.

Finally could peter’s “horn” be an erection

I was not open to that idea when comment-maker Stephen—I think it was—first proposed that, but I now think that the idea may indeed have merit. I think that the theory that the story of Sir Peter is a disguised representation of the story of Mr. Hoffman DOES work with indicators of Mr. Hoffman’s troublesome sexual appetites.

50. Firewitch1207 says:

Thank you 4 the welcome I love your articles as well as videos. They’re very helpful & informative Rule of rose is confusing the 1st time you see it I can’t explore the game for insight because I don’t own the game & no stores near me have it. I hope you continue & I will continue to share my theories as well

51. melodious_x says:

am i the only person who noticed, at the top of page eight of the manual, three girls are depicted, holding onto a chain, attached to a fourth girl at the neck area… who has also been blindfolded. immediately in front of her is what looks like a wild dog. [stray dog?] now. i know one is meg, it has glasses… but what of the other two? and the girl blindfolded and on a chain? is she representing a wild dog?

oh the intrigue.